Grafton Chief: Blanchard Road House Fire Accidental

  • Comments (1)
The family escaped from a fire in their home at 48 Blanchard Road on Monday night.
The family escaped from a fire in their home at 48 Blanchard Road on Monday night. Photo Credit: Richard Price

GRAFTON,Mass.--  Grafton Fire Chief Michael “Mickey” Gauthier said, in a telephone interview this morning, that the two-alarm fire on Blanchard Road on Monday night was accidental.

“There was nothing suspicious,” Gauthier said.  He and the fire marshal interviewed the family, inspected the scene and made the final determination overnight. Gauthier was not at liberty to say what sparked the blaze until the final report comes out in about two weeks.

Bharat and Varsha Desai, of 48 Blanchard Road, were in their four-bedroom home when the fire broke out around 10 p.m. The family escaped before firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported and the fire was extinguished in about four hours.

Neighbors were stunned as they stood in their driveways, many in pajamas and winter coats, and watched the flames shoot up to 20 feet at one point while burning embers rained down. At no time were other homes in danger.

The Sutton Fire Department  assisted with an extra ladder truck as the blaze, which started in the garage, spread to the attic and ran across the length of the house, creating roof, water, and smoke damage.

Two cars parked in the garage and a third in the driveway were destroyed.

Gauthier said because of the path of the fire, the house is probably a total loss. “A lot of times you’re better off to tear it down and build up from the foundation,” he said.

A neighbor has begun organizing a clothing and relief fund for the Desai family. In an email sent out on Tuesday morning to about 80 who live in the development, that person is collecting donations and delivering it to the Desais’ who are staying with friends in a nearby town.

The Grafton Daily Voice will update this story as details come in.

  • 1
    Comments

Comments (1)

Glad everyone made it out safe!!!