GRAFTON, Mass.—Welders at Wyman-Gordon accidentally started a fire underneath an acid tank Thursday morning, sending Grafton Fire Department to the scene.
Grafton Fire Chief Michael Gauthier said the blaze, which was started by sparks from the welding, ignited plywood. He said the fire was contained and put out 20 minutes after they arrived.
All available fire units responded at 9:30 a.m. to the Worcester Street plant, which forges titanium, steel, and nickel for aerospace, energy, and military operations.
Although the fire was small, Gauthier said it was important that all units responded.
“You don’t know what you have until you get in there,” he said adding that the size of the plant makes it especially difficult for firemen.
“We hand-laid probably 500 feet of hose,” he said. “We just had to make sure we got to it before it got to the acid tanks then we would have had acid everywhere.”
A manager at Wyman-Gordon said no one was authorized to comment on the fire.