GRAFTON, Mass. - The election season is officially underway.
Starting Tuesday, the clerk's office will have nomination papers available in the municipal center.
Selectmen Peter Adams and David Ross are up for re-election as are school committee members Teri Turgeon and Daryl Rynning. In 2010, Turgeon and Rynning ran opposed but were in a hard-fought contest in 2007. Adams is seeking his fourth term as a selectman; Ross, the current chairman, is finishing his first term.
Two seats on the board of library trustees are available as Henry Poler and Dana Wilson consider re-election.
Longtime Grafton Town Clerk Maureen Clark will be retiring at the end of January, leaving her seat open. Town Administrator Timothy McInerny said he expects Assistant Town Clerk Donna Girouard to act as interim clerk until after the election. There is no official word on whether Girouard will run for a full term.
There will be 12 seats up for grabs in the May 21 election.
Voters will elect:
• Two members of the board of selectmen for a term of three years.
• Town clerk, for a term of three years.
• Two members of the school committee for a term of three years.
• Two members of the planning board for a term of three years.
• One member of the planning board for a one-year term to fill a vacancy.
• Two members of the board of library trustees for a term of three years.
• One member of the board of library trustees for one year to fill a vacancy.
• One member of the Grafton Housing Authority for a term of five years.
Here are some additional dates to consider:
The deadline to submit nomination papers is 5 p.m. April 2 in the clerk's office; nominations must contain at least 50 signatures from registered voters.
"We strongly urge candidates to secure more than the minimum number of signatures," said Maureen Clark in a press release.
The last date to withdraw a nomination is 5 p.m. April 18.
The deadline to register to vote is April 23. Contact the clerk's office for details at 508-839-5335 ext. 195.
The town meeting is May 13.
The deadline to submit an absentee ballot is May 20 at noon.